MFA in Creative Writing in the genre of Poetry, George Mason University
Thesis Director: Sally Keith; Readers: Eric Pankey and Anna Habib
Thesis Title: Here Now, Myriads
Degree Conferred: May 2010, (4.0 overall GPA)
Awards and Recognition: Thesis Fellowship (2009-2010), Poetry Exam passed with commendation (2009), Nominee for Best New Poets Anthology (2009)
Coursework of note: Ecopoetics, Sequence and Collage, Bookish Beasts (course on procedural texts and book arts), Dickinson and Whitman, Composition Pedagogy, Literature Pedagogy
B.A. English Literature and Creative Writing, Muhlenberg College
Advisor: Linda Miller; Readers: Dr. Alec Marsh and Len Roberts
Thesis Title: The Ventriloquist’s Mouth
Degree Conferred: May 2004 (3.66 overall GPA)
Awards and Recognition: Excellence in Tutoring, High Honors in English
Publications and Collaborative Exhibitions
- 2013– “Education,” “How Not To,” “Traces,” “Over Again,” and “Evidence,” Opon, Issue One. Poems.
- 2012 — “To Entertain,” “Luxury and Lack,” and “Cinncinatus of the West,” excerpt from Simultaneous Contrast, The Offending Adam, October 2012.
- 2012 — “If it All Went / up in Smoke,” “Product,” “Quotations,” “Psalm,” and “Res Publica: ‘The Poet’s Lie’” Word For/Word Issue 19 Fall/Winter 2011/2012. Visual poems.
- 2011–”Comparative Darkness, Collaboration with visual artist Steven Skowron, exhibited as a part of Envisioning Otherness, curated by Susan Tichy and Helen Frederick. Fall for the Book, Fairfax, VA. Poems.
- 2011 — “All Voyages Are Destructive” (Review of Pigafetta is My Wife, by Joe Hall), Gently Read Literature, September 2011 issue.
- 2011 — “Landscape Architecture,” “Special Attention,” “Autobiographical Passage: Wanderings,” Fringe Magazine, Maps Feature, Issue 26.3. Poems.
- 2010—”Shoreline Ruins”, in Marginalia, Issue 5. Poem.
- 2010—”Decayless”, in DIAGRAM, Issue 10.4. Poem.
- 2010— Simultaneous Contrast: Investigating Presidential China Patterns, a sequence of 12 poems presented with work from ceramicist Stephanie A Rozene, DIS/ARMING Domesticity, National Council on Eduction For the Ceramic Arts (NCECA), Duke Gallery, The Community Arts Center, Wallingsford, PA. Poems.
- 2009—”To Entertain,” and “Luxury and Lack,” exbitied in collaboration with ceramic work by Stephanie A Rozene, The Material Word exhibit, Fall for the Book Festival, Fairfax, VA. Poems.
- 2008—”Staggered Shelves,” “Sequence,” exhibited in collaboration with ceramic work by Stephanie A Rozene, Urban Institute of Contemporary Art, Grand Rapids, MI. Poems.
- 2012—”Shifting Focus: Addressing the Knowledge Domains of Writing Expertise in a Peer Tutoring Seminar,” International Writing Center’s Association Conference, San Diego, CA.
- 2012—”Cole Swensen as a Live Thinker.” The Annual Tome Live Poet’s Society, North East, MD.
- 2012—”Reading as a Writer in the Fields of Poetry and Composition,” Muhlenberg College English Alumni Conference, Allentown, PA.
- 2009—Small Press Publishers’ Panel, Fall for the Book Festival, Fairfax, VA.
- 2008— Looking In/ Looking Out: How research on the Local Complicates Theories of the Global; “Navigating the Cacophony of Discourses: A Tutor’s Perspective”, International Writing Center’s Association (IWCA) conference, Los Vegas, NV
- 2012—The Annual Tome Live Poet’s Society, North East, MD.
- 2010–Loud Fire Reading Series, Fairfax, VA.
- 2010—Cheryl’s Gone Reading Series, Big Bear Cafe, Washington, DC.
- 2009—Fellows Reading, Fall for the Book Festival, Fairfax, VA.
- 2009–Candid Yak Reading Series, Fairfax, VA.
- 2008–Candid Yak Reading Series, Fairfax, VA.
- 2010-present—Writing Center Assistant Director, Washington College
- 2008-2010—Writing Center Graduate Assistant Director, George Mason University
- Fall 2012—Lecturer, English 101: Literature and Composition
- Spring 2012—Co-Instructor, Education 490: Writing Theory and Pedagogy
- Fall 2011—Lecturer, English 101: Literature and Composition
- Spring 2011—Lecturer, English 101: Literature and Composition
- Fall 2010—Co-Instructor, Education 490: Writing Theory and Pedagogy
- Spring 2009—Instructor, English 201 Reading and Writing About Texts
- Fall 2008—Instructor, English 101 Composition
Select List of Guest Lecturer Talks and Workshop Topics
- 2012—Workshop on synthesis and the literature review for Senior Seminar in Sociology
- 2012—Talk on visual poetics and concrete poetry for a Digital Arts course
- 2012—Workshops on synthesis for senior seminar in Biology
- 2012—Workshop on artist statements for a Senior Seminar in Studio Art
- 2011—Talk on ecopoetics for Environmental Literature
- 2010—Guided revision workshop for Advanced composition in the humanities
- 2010—Talk on homophonic translations for a creative writing workshop
- 2009—Talk on preparing submissions for publication for two separate creative writng workshops
- 2011-present—Creative Writing Editor, Washington College Review
- 2010-present—Freelance Editor, by direct request.
- 2009-2010—Poetry Editor, Phoebe: A Journal of Literature and Art
- 2008-2009—Assistant Poetry Editor, Phoebe: A Journal of Literature and Art
- 2004-Sept. 2006—Editorial Assistant, UpToDate Inc., Waltham, MA
- Sept. 2006-Aug. 2007—Development Editor, UpToDate Inc., Waltham, MA
- 2007-2008—Writing Center Tutor, George Mason University
- 2001-2004—Writing Center Tutor, Muhlenberg College
- 2001—Writing Assistant, First Year Seminar, “To Hell and Back” with Assistant Professor Francesca Coppa, Dept. of English: co-taught writing through workshops and presentations and provided one-on-one tutoring, serving as liaison to the Writing Center for a course about utopias and distopias in film and literature
- 2002— Writing Assistant, First Year Seminar, “The Ism” with Professor James D. Jackson, Dept. of Psychology: co-taught writing through workshops and presentations and provided one-on-one tutoring, serving as liaison to the Writing Center for a course about racism and other “isms” and psychology.
- 2003— Writing Assistant, First Year Seminar, “Media and Democracy” with Professor Sue Jansen, Dept. of Communications: co-taught writing through workshops and presentations and provided one-on-one tutoring, serving as liaison to the Writing Center for a course on communication and democratic rights
- 2009—Organizer/Host, Where are they now? A Reading from Phoebe: A Journal of Literature and Art, Fall for the Book Festival, Fairfax, VA
- 2007-2009—Organizer/Host, The Candid Yak Reading Series, Fairfax, VA
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- International Writing Center Association (IWCA)
- Mid-Atlantic Writing Center Association (MAWCA)
- Academy of American Poets
- Association for Writers and Writing Programs (AWP)
Conference and Workshop Attendance
- 2012—International Writing Center Association, San Diego, CA
- 2012—Mid-Atlantic Writing Center Association, Shippensburg, PA
- 2012—Conference on College Composition and Communication, St. Louis, MO
- 2011—Mid-Atlantic Writing Center Association, West Chester, PA
- 2011—Conference on College Composition and Communication, Atlanta, GA
- 2011—Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Washington, D.C.
- 2010—International Writing Center Association, Baltimore, MD
- 2010—Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Denver, CO
- 2009— Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Chicago, IL
- 2008— Association of Writers and Writing Programs, New York, NY
- 2006—Fine Arts Work Center Summer Program, workshop with Carl Phillips, Provincetown, MA
- 2005—Wesleyan University Writer’s Conference, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT